I know it has been a while since I posted last, but I will
skip ahead to about a week ago, in order to keep this interesting.
I arrived
at my host family last Saturday, at about 1:00 in the afternoon. I live in a small town called Shieder, and I
go to school in a town called Blomberg, about 11km away. I am in Nordrhein-Westfalen, about an hour by
train southwest of Hanover. When I
arrived at the train station, I still didn’t know what my host family looked
like. I knew that I had a retired host
dad, who lived at home, and two older host brothers that live with him on the
weekends. Other than that, I knew
nothing. So, I got off the train, and
headed towards the main section, where my host dad came up and introduced
himself. We then got in his car, and
drove about ten minutes back to his house, where I met one of his sons. The first few days were very awkward, because
I can hardly speak any English, and he can only speak some English. That being said, there were no major issues
within the first few days. On Sunday, I
met his older son, who speaks English very well because he works at NATO. I would have normally gone to school on
Monday, but PI had not yet contacted the Gymnasium to tell them that I was
coming. So, we went to Detmold, a city
near us because my step dad needed to go to an eye exam. Meanwhile, I wandered around the city.
On Tuesday, I went to school with
my host dad, but we only talked to a counselor and then left. Wednesday would be my actual first day of
school. I received a schedule that was
exactly the same as someone else’s in my town, so that he could help me find my
way. My first day went well, although I
didn’t really know what was happening most of the time. My second day was a little bit more
interesting. On the way to school, the
person who I had been following around got sick, and had to go home. So, I was left wandering around by myself
asking where different classes were. I
survived though, and made it to every class.
Again, I was thoroughly confused all day, considering I hardly speak any
German at this point. One class in
particular had me stumped: Latin. Yeah, that
sucked, to say the least. I hardly know
any German, and I don’t know a word of Latin, so I basically just sat there
looking like a fool the whole class.
Needless to say, I will try to switch out of that class ASAP. Friday went a bit better, since my schedule
buddy was back in school. Still
confusing, but not as bad.
So almost
every region in Germany has some sort of fair or festival each year. Well, ours, Willbasen, happened to be from
Friday until today. So, I went to this
fair on Friday, with one of our neighbors and some of her friends. The best way to describe this would be a
German State-Fair. There were carnival
rides, biergartens, and hundreds of merchants selling everything from sweets to
atv’s. I stayed for a few hours, and
then my host dad came and went home with me, while the others stayed until
early the next morning.
So, this
basically brings us to today, which I have off from school because of
Willbasen. Today, I helped my host dad
plant a new garden by the house, which will hopefully be much bigger by the
time I leave in June.
Side note: Sorry I
haven’t been very good at posting recently.
I will try to post once a week, so that I can keep everybody more
informed.
This is all v. exciting and it sounds like you're already off to a fantastic start. Is there a track team there? Is there a bike you can use?
ReplyDeleteIt sounds good Quinn, I'm glad you can roll with the punches so easily. Just so you know, Latin sucks even when you understand the teacher! And my teacher learned the language when it was originally spoken...
ReplyDelete