What time is it?

gmt to est time

Saturday, November 16, 2013

So…I have this blog…that I haven’t updated in way too long (like two months).  This is the end of that.  Well, the end of not updating, not the end of the blog.  Wait, that was kind of confusing.  Ok, I am going to try to be better at updating this bad boy.  Anyways, if you read through all of that garbage, you probably want to know how its going.

I have been living with my host family for over two months now, and have been in Germany for three.  And if we take a step even further back, it has been almost a year since I started this whole process.  Wow.  That’s crazy. 

Well, so far, everything has been great with my host family, which I am very happy about.  They have been very welcoming, kind, and supportive, which means a lot when you are in a new country where you don’t know anyone.  Speaking of knowing people, I actually have some friends from the school now which is also good.  The first couple weeks of school, I basically just went through the motions so to speak.  However, now I actually have some friends, and I am doing more and more after school.  I have been running a few times per week, and biking whenever possible.  I bike to school sometimes, but there are an unreal amount of rainy days here, which make the ride miserable.  Starting this Wednesday I will be joining a parkour group that meets at the school I go to.  And from what I have seen so far (video of them diving into a pool), I may be in a little over my head.  But that’s ok, I am joining to learn, and I may learn more than I think.  The fact that there is supposedly a coach there too should reassure my parents too, since it won’t just be a bunch of teenagers trying stuff unsupervised.  I digress…again. 

So, if you have followed me this far, you are probably wondering how my German is coming, since I couldn’t really speak any German before I left.  It is getting there.  That’s all I can really say.  At home, I only speak German, except the occasional (ok, pretty often) missing vocabulary word.  At school, I am able to understand some classes now, but not all.  And even when I do understand, it is still inexplicably difficult to process and generate any kind of thought in German.  Sure, at home it is easy.  There are only so many different you need to be prepared for on any given day.  At school, though, anything can come up. 

The last thing I will talk about today is the weather here.  Ahhh yes, the weather.  Right now, according to everyone who lives here, is the worst time of the year.  And I am starting to see why.  The days are short.  Really short.  Like it gets dark at 4:30 in the afternoon.  Its cold.  But not a Colorado, dry cold.  Its wet.  I am used to snow replacing rain anytime it gets below about 40 degrees Fahrenheit, so all the rain in November has come as a bit of a shock to me.  And the Sun is almost never out.  Really.  I’ve gone from over 300 days of sun, to about 10.  Ok, that was an exaggeration, but you get the point.  I am used to it at this point, but that was also quite a surprise the first month or so that I was here.

Well, that’s all for today.  I know everybody (ok basically my family) has been bugging me to update this, and I know.  Its bad,  This is the first post in like two months.  And I didn’t even cover everything.  But I’m going to start updating more often, I promise.*  And I think I will start doing a bit more of a variety type thing.  What I mean is that I will do a normal update every other week, and in between will be some other random short post, about a topic of my choice.   Muahahahaha.  We’ll see.





*this is a hopeful promise…don’t sue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment